A Selection Of Unique Argumentative Essay Topics For Grade 5
Picking argumentative essay topics can seem like a daunting task; however, there are various things that you can do to make it easier to come up with really effective titles.
Sometimes, it can be a really good idea to think of any topics that you are particularly interested in. Once you have some ideas, you can then start to think of any particular issues related to those topics that you are especially passionate about. Ideally, you will want to think of topics that can provoke some sort of debate, as you will then be able to choose one side or the other relating to that debate which you can then argue about.
Some people try to think of controversial topics to talk about; however, this isn’t a necessity. In fact, sometimes it is easy just to think about things from your daily life. For example, if you are writing an argumentative essay in grade 5 then you may wish to consider writing about topics related your daily life at school. In fact, to give you some ideas about the kind of topics you can write about, there is a list of different ideas below that you may wish to consider.
- Should students have to wear school uniforms and, if so, should they have more say over what they can wear?
- Should schoolchildren under the age of 10 be required to do homework?
- Should students who do well at school be rewarded for good behavior and good grades?
- Should schoolchildren have long holidays than they currently do?
- Should schoolchildren be allowed to participate in skateboarding activities and other similar sports instead of more traditional sports during PE lessons?
- Should schools been chocolate and junk food from schools, so as to ensure that young children are more likely to have a healthy diet?
- Should students be required to learn a second language from a young age, so that they can be bilingual by the time they are teenager?
- Should students be given tablets or laptop computers, as well as free access to the Internet, so as to help with their studies?
- Should the United States do more to follow educational practices used in high-performing Scandinavian and Asian countries, so as to ensure that younger generations have a better education?
- Should parents have a greater involvement in the education of the children, or should teaching be the sole responsibility of schools and trained teachers?
Fire up your debate engines! We’ve got 60 persuasive essay and speech topics that will give students an opportunity to craft persuasive essays and/or arguments for oral debate. Our persuasive essay and speech topics are designed to spark critical thinking and can be modified for students in elementary, middle and high school. They are grouped by topic for easy student and teacher reference. Feel free to print the entire list for plenty of inspiration for your next persuasive or argumentative essay assignment!
Society and Culture Essay and Speech Topics
- Have humans become too dependent on technology?
- Who contributes more to modern society: teachers or doctors?
- Should gaming and casinos be legalized in all states?
- Is the use of pesticides in farming worth the health risks?
- Is the idea of the “American Dream” still attainable in today’s society?
- Should parents be held accountable/responsible for what their children post on social media websites?
- Should corporations be required to engage in responsible citizenship, including environmental accountability?
- Is the Electoral College system still effective?
- Are zoos important and necessary sources of conservation and research or outdated displays of exotic animals?
- What means of producing electricity has the least harmful impact on the environment?
- Should the government be required to provide health insurance to all its citizens?
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
- Should guaranteeing medical care to all citizens be a responsibility of the government?
- Does the general population have the right to access information about the private lives of politicians?
- Should there be mandatory water rationing during drought conditions?
- Should there be a reinstatement of the military draft?
- Who was the most effective American president?
- Who is the most effective current political leader outside of America?
- Should there be body scanners at airports to detect weapons?
- Is it more effective to volunteer your time or to donate your money to a cause you support?
- Should corporations be allowed to collect an individual’s personal data from social media sources without their consent?
- Are current methods of discouraging cyberbullying and harassment effective?
- Should the government have access to tracking information through our mobile devices?
- Who should bear the responsibility for making change in a society: individual citizens or elected officials?
Schools and Education Essay and Speech Topics
- Are private school vouchers helping our society to provide a quality education for all?
- What is more effective: coed education or single-gender schools?
- Do colleges put too much stock in standardized test scores?
- Should students be required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance each morning at school?
- What role should current events play in a child’s school curriculum?
- What is the impact of school uniforms?
- Does extended recess time have a positive impact on student health and learning?
- Should sign language be taught to all students as a second language?
- Should high schools have a later start time?
- Should schools ban the use of cell phones by students during school hours?
- What is the impact of assigning nightly homework to students?
- During which grade should students begin to receive homework assignments?
- What is the role social media should have in the school environment?
- What is more effective, a year-round school calendar or a traditional nine-month calendar?
- Should school officials be allowed to search students’ lockers and personal possessions?
- Should students be grouped by age or by ability in school classrooms?
- What is the most important subject taught in school?
- Are there any academic benefits to the study of video games?
- Are current methods of school discipline effective?
- Should higher education be free for all admitted students?
- Are standardized tests an accurate measure of student learning or ability?
- What are the most effective ways to curb school bullying?
- Is a college degree a requirement for success in life?
Personal Choices and Personal Values Essay and Speech Topics
- Which makes a better pet, a dog or a cat?
- Have reality television shows changed people’s television viewing habits?
- What is the best book you have ever read, and why was it so good?
- Is it better to give or to receive?
- Is it still important to teach manners and etiquette to children?
- When should children be permitted to have their own cell phones?
- If you won the lottery and could only donate the money to charity, which cause would you choose and why?
- Which lifestyle is more conducive to a happy life, urban living or country living?
- Should children be limited to the number of hours they are allowed to play video games every week?
- If you could time travel, would it be better to visit the past or the future?
- Is it better to be a night owl or an early bird?
- Do opposites really attract?
- What is more important: earning a large salary or doing work that benefits other people?
Looking for more essay topics?
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Descriptive Essay Topics
Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Narrative Essay Topics